


On Tuesday February 9, 2010 I got a phone called that my Grandma, Catherine Gabbard, had passed away. I was very shocked. She had not really been sick, it was just time for God to call her home. I am going to miss her very much. On Friday February 12, 2010 we had a service to celebrate her life! And was it ever a celebration. Several of her children sang and spoke about her and how much she meant to them. She was one of the kindest, sweetest, happiest women I have ever met. I have never, not once ever heard her say a mean thing about anyone. She was always very encouraging and uplifting. I have learned many lessons from her about how to be a great mother and child of God. I wanted to share jus a few memories of her.
I remember staying at her house several times as a child. One particular time I stayed with them and I slept in Cathy's room. In the middle of the night I got very sick and the next morning she asked me, "Honey, are you alright. I heard you getting sick in the middle of the night." I wodered how in the world she had known that I was sick, but that's the kind of mother and grandmother she was. She always paid attention and loved each and every one of us. It always made me feel good when she would tell me how much she loved me and how she was proud of me for all the things I was doing for God. She just made everyone feel special.
About 5 years ago I had a gal stone and it was the most painful thing I had ever exprienced. Even after it was gone I was in so much pain and no matter what I ate it would still hurt. I went to Grandma's and she laid hands on me and prayed for me and when she touched me the power of God went through her and I felt God's power like I have never in my life felt before! What she had from God was real and I knew it!! The pain immediately left me!!
Grandma has told me this two or three times over the years since Grandpa passed in 1998. She told me that our life in like we are on stage. When the curtain goes up it is our time to shine for Jesus. So we must do all we can to further his kingdom. And when the curtain closes our time on earth is done. Reminds me of the scripture, Work while it is day for the night cometh when no man can work. Grandma and Grandpa certainly let their light shine for Jesus. I so loved spending time with them and especially talking to them about the Lord. They had such great faith and they made me feel as if I could do anything for Christ. After talking to them I could move the mountain with my faith!!
There are so many other memories of Grandma. Almost to many to share. But I am so thnakful to be the granddaughter of Roy and Catherine Gabbard. Their legacy lives on through their children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. Literally thousands of people are touched for Christ every week from their offspring!! From Kentucky, to Ohio, to Texas, to Missouri, to Florida there heritage lives on!! Thank you Lord for giving me such a rich pentecostal heritage. And thank you for Roy and Catherine Gabbard, who they were and what they stood for. I am who I am today because of them!

No comments:
Post a Comment